Loads of tasty ideas for a Mexican-style feast
No new recipe this week. We have spring fever, and are playing hooky.
But we can’t let our readers go hungry. So we’ve collected some past recipes that are appropriate for Cinco de Mayo.
Get ready to fiesta like there’s no mañana.
Appetizers and Snacks for Cinco de Mayo
- Velveeta Tex-Mex Dip. OK, there’s nothing junkier than processed cheese. But in this dish, it’s weirdly compelling. Here’s the chile con queso we all crave.
- Salsa and Picante Sauce. If you want something healthier than Velveeta-based dip (we don’t blame you), what’s better than your own homemade salsa or picante sauce? Easy to make, and better than you’ll ever find at the supermarket.
- Chipotle Cherry Salsa. This one’s out of the ordinary. And it’s great with chips. Or use it as a sauce to accompany pork, fish, or chicken.
- Peach Salsa. Peaches and spice love to play together. Again, this is great with chips, or as a side with grilled fish or chicken.
- Plum Salsa. Same story—great with chips or as a side to accompany grilled foods. This one is just plum fun.
|Tex-Mex Shredded-Beef Enchiladas
Mains and Sides for Cinco de Mayo
- Quick and Easy Tacos. A classic hard-shelled taco, the kind you can find in any Mexican restaurant. We like to make ours with beef, but substitute chicken if you prefer. Or just set out the ingredients and let everyone assemble their own tacos. Easy!
- Shredded-Beef Soft Tacos. If you prefer soft tacos, we’ve got you covered with this recipe. Again, easy to let your guests assemble these babies themselves.
- Tex-Mex Shredded-Beef Enchiladas. Melted cheese and red-chile sauce liven up this dish. What can be better?
- Homemade Corn Tortillas. These are easy and fun to make. Use them for tacos and enchiladas.
- Shrimp in Chipotle Sauce. This popular Veracruz dish is spicy and colorful. And it’s a perfect break from the usual tortilla-based dishes.
- Taco Salad. A main-course salad that lets you feel all virtuous and diety while enjoying that taste of taco.
- Frito Pie with Chili. Yeah, we know. But when you want it, you want it.
- Mexican Charro Beans. What’s a Mexican meal without beans? Use black beans or pintos in this cowboy-inspired dish.
Drinks and Desserts for Cinco de Mayo
- The Classic Margarita. What we’ll be drinking. One of the best cocktails ever.
- The Rosita Cocktail. This one tastes like a tequila Negroni. Enough said.
- The Tequila Sunrise Cocktail. A 70s drink with far-out flavor. Not really Mexican, but it goes well with Mexican food.
- Mexican Wedding Cookies. AKA Russian tea cakes, these are addictive no matter what you call them.
- No-Churn Cherry Ice Cream with Chocolate. This tastes kinda like Cherry Garcia. And Mexico produces great chocolate!
- Boca Negra Cake. This one isn’t really Mexican (though it has that chocolate thing going for it). But it’s the best chocolate cake we know, so had to include it.