Looking for a peppy predinner potation to start your summer evenings? This delightful combo of white rum, dry vermouth, and pineapple juice (with a hint of grenadine to add flavor and color) is just the drink.
Its fruity, snappy flavor will wake up your tastebuds. So share it with your friends and enjoy their delight, too.
Because into each life some sun should shine.
There are several cocktails called the “Sunshine” (or some variation thereof). We learned about this version from cocktail historian extraordinaire David Wondrich, and we think it’s the best.
You’ll need pineapple juice for this drink. You can try juicing your own, but it’s easier just to buy unsweetened juice in cans or bottles. We usually buy mini cans, which are intended for cocktail use.
This recipe takes about 5 minutes to prepare and serves 1.
- 2 ounces white rum
- ½ ounce dry (French) vermouth
- 1 ounce unsweetened pineapple juice (canned is OK)
- 1 dash grenadine (preferably Homemade)
- Place all ingredients in a cocktail shaker half filled with ice. Shake vigorously until the contents are well chilled (20 seconds or so).
- Strain into a cocktail glass, preferably one that has been chilled. Serve and enjoy.
- We don’t garnish this drink, but you may prefer to. The logical garnish would be a chunk of pineapple, natch.
- Many good-quality brands of white rum and dry vermouth are available. So just use your favorites.
- And for grenadine? We suggest either making your own or buying a grenadine that’s made from pomegranate. The bottled brand that you see most often in grocery and liquor stores has wonderful electric color, but its flavor isn’t anything like real grenadine (and it doesn’t contain pomegranate).
- We’d like to give you some history on this drink. But, alas, we don’t know what the backstory is. No matter – it still tastes and drinks great.
- We think the sunny flavor of this cocktail makes it perfect for summer drinking. Particularly in July and August, when summer peaks in our part of the world.
- Speaking of July: In the US, we’re about to enjoy a long holiday weekend for Independence Day. So relax and enjoy one (or more) of these. And have a safe and happy 4th!
“Delectable drink!” said Mrs. Kitchen Riffs. “Like being on the beach at sunset.”
“Indeed,” I said. “Kinda blows my mind.”
“I feel a 60s vibe coming on,” said Mrs K R.
“Yup, ‘Superman or Green Lantern ain’t got a-nothin’ on me,’” I said.
“Hold on, let me get my love beads,” said Mrs K R.
“Ah, this drink makes me want to break out in song!” I said.
“Please don’t,” said Mrs K R. “Remember what happened last time you tried to sing.”
Right, gotta stay groovy. Guess I should a-change my ways.
You may also enjoy reading about: